Application Developer – Java
At Kuoni Tumlare, we create truly inspiring travel experiences that go beyond expectations. Proudly part of the JTB Corporation, we curate and deliver group travel, meetings, incentives, congresses and events. Trading under the brands JTB, Kuoni Global Travel Services, Tumlare Destination Management, Kuoni Destination Management, Kuoni Congress, Conference & Touring, our 3,000+ team members are located across 34 countries throughout Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Americas.
We look for a new colleague to support Kuoni Global Travel Services IT in global IT projects and development requests around the Java application (running on the premise or in the cloud), which are conducted across multiple teams and locations.
Providing a new functionality and software support (3rd level) of GTS’s existing Java applications from diagnosis to fixing, implementation and deployment of solutions.
The majority of the work will be on the middleware Java application (Eclipse environment for coding) however some work will involve SQL data manipulation on IBM i DB2 and OCI Oracle.
- This role reports to the Head of GTS IT Development
- Furthermore, the role works with other Developers in the team, BA’s and testers
- Primarily learn the GTS System Architecture, the application landscape and programming techniques based on Java and the open frameworks, libraries and tools (e.g. spring, springboot, camel, ajax, react, jquery, maven, docker etc.)
- Provide support for software applications running on the application servers. Work together in a team to support all queries and problems relating to these applications
- Analyze problems and offer technical solutions
- As a member of the development team receive direction and work from the line manager. Liaise with 3rd parties offshore were necessary to ensure product deliverables meet specified requirements, costs, timelines and quality
- Develop and execute development innovations
- Contribute to detailed designs and reviews existing designs and recommends design alternatives in adherence with internal product delivery processes
- Design, develop and support applications for new and existing products based on requirements and technical specification and documentation in a timely and accurate member. Working with internal and external development teams
- Work within the constraints specified. Use excellent judgement to make efficient use of available resources
- Anticipate, address, and resolve issues during software design and development cycle in a competent manner
- Tracks progress against pre-determined milestones and presents accurate status reports
- Be proactive to raise issues following established escalation processes including risks, productivity bottlenecks and innovative ideas
- Identify capacity and performance problems and to quantify the relative merits of design alternatives for new and existing products.
- Assistance of the definition and verification of new and established software
- Construct specifications, technical overviews, test concepts
- Analyze error or problem reports; guarantee third level support; initiate and supervise escalation procedures
- Draft and design of software components as well as their interface definition
- Review software to suggest permanent fixes or software changes to resolve support queries
WE CHALLENGE YOU TO
Establish mutual trust and work closely with other development teams and collaborate with BA’s and testers in order to ensure feasibility and implementation. The role requires the ability to work accurately whilst under pressure to achieve multiple deadlines.
TO SUCCEED IN THE ROLE YOU SHOULD HAVE
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related fields
- Experience with SQL, JDBC, JMS, …
- Experience with servers: Tomcat, Apache HTTP, etc.
- Experience with devOps and clouds: CI/CD, docker, ELK, Kubernetes, etc.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with employees of diverse job functions and skill levels
- Ability to work alone and as part of a development team
- Understanding of business processes design, requirements gathering and application design
- Understanding of the concept of application architecture, operations systems, and interfaces
- Strong analytical skills and conceptual thinking as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are essential as well as the ability to frame problems and solutions quickly and concisely in a consensus driven environment
- Interest in and ability to moderate discussions, draw attention to issues, support people to reach agreement
- Drive and resilience even when acting under pressure, willing and able to deliver results in due time
- Cultural awareness, constructive contribution and cooperative attitude are crucial in order to build credibility and maintain relationships
- Flexibility in day-to-day work and effective work planning are crucial